Positioning is, “The act of designing the company's offering and image so that they occupy a meaningful and distinct competitive position in the target customers’ minds” (Kotler 1997).
Positioning is not about the product but actually what the customer thinks about the product or organisation. Therefore it is about visibility and recognition of what a product represents to a buyer.
The case study today will be...
• To middle aged
• Positions itself as the cheapest fashion clothing brand in the UK and does not follow advertising rules to emphasise this.
• Easily affordable fashion
• Wide range of fashion pieces
• Easy to reach stores
• Does not have a meaningful position in customers’ minds as being fashion forward.
• Big gap in quality
• Simply ‘cheap’
Some Branding suggestions:
• Create an illusion of youth culture by being fresh and forward with the newest fashions.
• Create ethical lines which could help remove the mass production image it has.
• Online store would be an asset for their teenage followers. It would position them as the most accessible online store with the newest fashion.
So that is it from me today. Next stop onto an African fashion brand.